Thursday, October 16, 2014

Niki Webber: A Love Story



          N I C K I  M I N A J ?  T R Y   N I K I   M A S S A G E....

 I was born with a desire to be needed and to nurture. This has come with a lot of consequences, but leaving college and abandoning my journalism studies to pursue a career as a massage therapist was not a bad one. Now, I've been in the wellness industry for over five years. I am a licensed massage therapist, a certified personal trainer and I'm studying to obtain a certification in fitness nutrition. But my favorite title is Beachbody coach. It's the way I help the most people become healthy and increase their quality of life in an affordable way.

   First came the massage license. My plan was to work and save enough money to get liposuction. I had a brutally honest friend in massage school tell me that if I were to start spouting out information on how to live a healthy life, people probably wouldn't take me all that seriously, ESPECIALLY if I got liposuction. He said, "We are going to do a triathlon next year."
  Well, we didn't. But that doesn't mean I dismissed what he said. In six months, I was down from a size 12 pant to size 6 by eating well and doing a DVD workout called Turbo Jam on rainy days. On nice days, I was riding my bike or running, which were things I used to hate to do. I became passionate about exercise in those six months. Not as much about food, but I can say I haven't had a bowl of Cocoa Puffs since that time, so it was a start. 
  After a year of being licensed, massage therapy started to wear me out. I was being worked to the bone, literally on the verge of carpal tunnel, by a corporate spa. A majority of the people who came in didn't come in because they were stressed or had anything wrong with them. I was unfulfilled. My heart was in fitness.

I   L I F T   T H I N G S   U P   A N D   P U T   T H E M   D O W N.

  I cut my hours at the spa and went to school to become a personal trainer. I was also drinking Shakeology and for the first time, I could see some definition in my arms and legs. I started reading more about nutrition, too. When I was done with school, I started doing Insanity (since I'd learned about the benefits of HIIT) and I got my first training job at a beautiful fitness center at a golf club.
  I LOVED working at the fitness center. I even got to work out there, which was amazing. I adored my clients. I felt great. My parents saw how I was feeling and joined the gym near our house. They even started drinking Shakeology with me and benefitted from the energy. After two years, I decided to move to a big city in another state and get a job at a bigger gym... a corporate gym. 
  The gym was wonderful. It was pristine, the equipment was brand new and there were even A-list celebrities working out there regularly. But even as a trainer, I was intimidated. The clients were in better shape than I was. The other trainers had run marathons and Ironman races. I had the highest body fat percentage of all the girls there. One kid repeatedly called me "meatball." I know he was trying to be cute, but it made me feel extremely self conscious and it hindered my confidence, which made it difficult for me to talk to clients. I was losing money, fast. The commute to work was running me into the ground because train tickets were gone fast and parking was absurdly expensive. I had to eventually realize that I failed and I went back home.

S T A R T I N G   O V E R

   For a month, I stayed at home to figure out what I wanted my life to look like instead of crawling back to the places I'd left. I felt humiliated. I deactivated my Facebook because I couldn't play pretend with the world. Until that time in my life, my happiness never felt faked or forced so I didn't want it to start then. In that month, I realized that big gyms and spas and fancy clients were not ever going to truly make me happy because all along, the common denominator was that I didn't feel like I was actually helping anyone. So, I got a job at a smaller spa where I work with paralyzed clients, cancer patients, survivors, dancers, and athletes. I started teaching group fitness classes and I went back to working on myself using the products that had given me success in the past- Shakeology and Insanity. Then I did the 21 Day Fix and it brought my fitness and self-esteem to a level I never knew I could achieve. I used the meal plan from the fix and exercises from Insanity to train for and kick ass in a triathlon. I missed training people in a gym so much, but none of the jobs seemed like they would make sense in my life. Working in a gym is fun, but you can only see about 10 people a day and that's only if you don't have other jobs (and I like my jobs too much to give them up). And ten people a day seemed exhausting. How can I eat my six meals a day and get my own work out in? I want to help people, but I want to live by example myself.
   The answer to my happiness hit me like a ton of bricks one day. I was doing my third round of the 21 Day Fix and my whole family was doing it with me. I was telling people about it and they were interested. People like ME. People I'm friends with. People I went to high school with. People who have been down and couldn't afford a gym membership but really wanted to turn things around. And that's when I decided to give my all to Beachbody. 
    It took me six years to get to where I am now and I'm so glad it took this long because I've learned so much about a lot of things: what works, what doesn't work, what failure feels like, how beautiful it is to rise again, how to fit self-care into a busy schedule and how to fall in LOVE with myself. I can't wait to share that information with the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment